Jonathan qualified at Macfarlanes in 2008 and became a partner in May 2015.
Jonathan specialises in international contentious trust, probate and succession disputes, high-value family disputes and commercial litigation. The clients for whom he acts range from multinational corporations, international private wealth managers and trust companies through to a diverse spectrum of high-net-worth individuals both from the UK and from South America, Europe and the Middle East.
He is an experienced litigator in both the UK courts and foreign courts and has particular expertise in resolving sensitive and long-running disputes between beneficiaries of both English and international family trusts.
Recent highlights include acting in relation to:
- the variation of high-value family trusts in England, which involved resolving significant differences between family members;
- the settlement of a long-running dispute between trustees and beneficiaries of a series of substantial offshore trusts concerning both the historic administration of the trusts and disputes between family members about their respective interests;
- a number of claims against trustees for breach of trust relating to the management of investments in trusts worth many hundreds of millions of pounds;
- high-value foreign-law succession disputes; and
- highly contentious Court of Protection proceedings.
He has advised clients in a number of successful mediations, particularly in the context of family disputes. Jonathan is a member of the Association of Contentious Trusts and Probate Specialists.
Jonathan also has substantial expertise in high-value employment law and commercial disputes, with a focus on acting for employers, particularly financial institutions, in both the High Court and employment tribunals.
Jonathan Arr ‘brings real energy to a case and relentlessly fights for his clients’.
The UK Legal 500 2016