Lois acts on a broad range of complex commercial matters, with particular experience in corporate and shareholder disputes, banking litigation and financial crime. Lois works on high-value, cross-border disputes involving financial institutions, corporates and high-net-worth individuals in a number of jurisdictions, including India, Africa, US, and Asia, as well as throughout Europe. Lois has broad sector experience in financial services, aviation, energy, beverages and commodities. She also has expertise in advising on team moves, breaches of post-termination restrictions and fiduciary duties and breaches of confidence.
Recent highlights include advising:
- the defendant in a dispute between two major European banks concerning the payment of EONIA on swap collateral, including issues of contractual interpretation and estoppel;
- a very prominent Indian businessman in a multi-million dollar commercial dispute against a major international corporation, which also involved allegations of fraud and regulatory misconduct, UK corporate governance and listing rules issues, and the protection of Indian based assets in light of action brought by Indian banks;
- an African client in a dispute concerning a commission based agreement connected to a multi-million dollar oil concession, involving allegations of breach of contract and claims in restitution;
- a number of UK and foreign defendants in a claim concerning allegations of constructive trust, breach of fiduciary duty and fraud arising out of the operation of a family business, coupled with a freezing injunction;
- an Indian based multi-national corporation concerning a dispute with an Indian bank, involving the Indian law implications of a joint agreement between a syndicate of Indian banks;
- a multi-national company in the industrial gases industry on a dispute with a US company concerning a breach of contract, involving exchange rate complexities;
- the majority shareholders and directors of a principal lender in an unfair prejudice complaint, involving a freezing injunction and potential unlawful loans to directors;
- Thai Airways in a successful claim resulting in the award of over £100m concerning a breach of contract dispute against a foreign seat manufacturer for failure to deliver economy and business class seats, involving numerous complex heads of loss;
- an insurance company on a dispute with former senior executives concerning a breach of confidence and fiduciary duties, injunctive proceedings, regulatory issues and data protection concerns;
- clients in relation to trans-Atlantic regulatory and criminal investigations, as well as litigation, concerning the alleged manipulation the LIBOR benchmark;
- an off-shore trust administrator in relation to litigation based in Guernsey caused by the demise of an exceptionally complex trust structure, involving allegations of fraud and negligence; and
- for an international specialist banking and asset management group on an expert determination arising out of the preparation of Completion Statements in a share purchase agreement.
Lois is a member of the Financial Services Lawyers Association and the Commercial Litigation Association. Lois is also a qualified solicitor-advocate.
Lois Horne’s ‘advice and understanding is second to none’.
The UK Legal 500 2016
"Lois Horne is highly rated."
The UK Legal 500 2015
UK Government's direction of travel:
Promoting change through corporate criminal responsibilityFind out more