Geoff is an experienced trial lawyer with a broad commercial/contractual litigation and arbitration practice. He also heads the firm’s intellectual property group.
Recent highlights include:
- advising Thai Airways on a High Court breach of contract claim against a seat supplier, securing damages for our client in excess of $ 100m;
- advising Kestrel Acquisitions Ltd on a reported High Court case about the construction of the term “modification” in a loan note agreement and the refusal to imply a good faith term;
- advising the UCI Independent Commission in relation to a public inquiry into the Lance Armstrong doping affair in professional cycling;
- acting for 1Malaysia in relation to a breach of contract, trade mark and passing off dispute with Group Lotus in relation to the use of the name and mark “Team Lotus” in Formula One, which went to speedy trial;
- acting on a major ICC arbitration in respect of an international licensing dispute for Umbro, the leading international sports brand and kit supplier for the England football team; and successfully defending a High Court and Court of Appeal breach of contract claim for the same client by a former US licensee;
- acting on a contractual dispute arising out of the temporary station for the London 2012 Olympic games;
- acting on a court appointed independent enquiry into an alleged fraud relating to the dissipation of oil sector assets in Russia;
- conducting an LCIA arbitration, governed by Indian law but with the seat in London, relating to the disputed exercise of a call option over shares in an Indian joint venture company;
- representing Anheuser-Busch on their UK Budweiser trade mark litigation, particularly against the Czech brewers of “Budvar”, in respect of which he has acted on a number of reported High Court, Court of Appeal and Court of Justice of the European Union decisions; and
- representing a leading wine supplier on an ICC arbitration relating to the contested termination of its UK warehouser. .
Geoff is a member of the LCIA, the ICC, the British Association for Sport and Law, the International Trade Mark Association and the Institute of Trade Mark Attorneys.
Geoff Steward “is great with clients and understands their commercial objectives."
Chambers UK 2017
"Sources say of Geoff Steward: 'He is tremendous with clients and has a good commercial understanding of disputes'."
Chambers UK 2016
"Geoff Steward is a 'go-to lawyer' and is recommended."
The UK Legal 500 2015
"One source says Geoff Steward is their 'go-to guy - he gives us a competitive advantage'."
Chambers UK 2015
"Geoff Steward provides 'immediate clarity' to a case, according to sources, who also highlight his responsiveness.'"
Chambers UK 2014
Geoff Steward is ‘a brilliant team-builder’.
The Legal 500 UK 2016