Our intellectual property (IP) and brands practice provides domestic and international clients with the expertise to protect, exploit and litigate their IP rights.
We represent, and provide highly tailored services to, a broad range of brand-owning clients from industries including advertising, brewing, food and drink, IT, publishing, retailing, sports and television. Major IP clients include 1Malaysia (owners of Caterham Formula One team and Caterham Cars), Anheuser-Busch (brewers of Budweiser beer), DC Thomson (publishers of The Beano), Krispy Kreme, Liverpool FC, Mayborn Group (owners of Tommee Tippee), Pernod Ricard, Pret a Manger, Red Bull, Reebok, Umbro and Virgin.
We also have long-established relationships with leading members of the specialist IP bar, as well as patent and trade mark agents. Similarly, we often work closely with lawyers from the very best independent firms in other jurisdictions, where – as is often the case – IP matters have international elements or jurisdictional issues.
We undertake the whole spectrum of litigious brand protection work, including:
- high-profile trade mark and passing off litigation;
- licensing disputes;
- copyright/design (registered and unregistered) claims;
- data protection and database right disputes;
- advertising and copy clearance advice; and
- breach of confidence and privacy.
In addition, representing both claimants and defendants, we undertake general counsel/advisory, interlocutory (e.g. urgent injunctions), mediation, arbitration (LCIA and ICC), full trial and appeals work.
Although the majority of our work is in the context of commercial disputes and civil proceedings, we also have extensive experience of representing clients bringing or facing trading standards and other regulatory complaints and prosecutions.
On the non-contentious side our clients appreciate our "virtual in-house lawyer" model, in which we apply our multidisciplinary expertise to:
- devising brand protection strategies and advising on how to protect names (and domain names), logos, devices, packaging, get-up, inventions, concepts and other creative works;
- acquiring, reorganising and managing IP portfolios; and
- licensing, assigning and franchising IP rights, as well as preparing sourcing, manufacturing and distribution agreements.
"Client say: 'They know their IP law inside out and are very pleasant to work with' and they are 'Very down-to-earth and commercial in their advice'."
Chambers UK 2016
"'They always provide prompt service, attention to detail and smiling faces'."
Chambers UK 2015
"'I've been very happy with them - the work is of very high quality and was thought through very well'."
Chambers UK 2015
"'What stands out is their ability to very concisely get to the root of the problem and give a commercial answer.'"
Chambers UK 2014