No manager enjoys having to make redundancies. As it can be challenging to manage the process effectively in a difficult trading environment, our team can help you achieve the right result while ensuring that the consultation / negotiation process is in keeping with your own HR culture and approach.
We are experienced in advising on redundancy programmes and reductions in force, involving anywhere from a single employee to many hundreds. We can help make sure the process is efficiently managed, including when employee involvement is necessary, such as when you’re changing your terms and conditions or introducing new schemes and procedures. If you operate in a regulated or unionised environment, we’ll be on hand to help with any issues as they arise.
Our services include:
- advising on individual redundancy procedures and ensuring that the process will stand up to scrutiny if challenged;
- advising on setting up, and liaising with, employee representative bodies;
- drafting of consultation scripts and related correspondence with employees and their representatives;
- advising on collective and mass redundancies, where collective consultation obligations may be triggered, including advice on the impact on your wider industrial relations and PR strategies; and
- advising on works councils, union recognition and labour disputes.
"Clients say: 'they have a really high-level and skilled team. They adopt a problem-solving approach to serious problems'."
Chambers UK 2014
"This team receives plaudits from market sources for its pragmatic, efficient and effective approach."
Chambers UK 2013
"Macfarlanes LLP is appreciated for its ‘first-class input into decision-making’."
The UK Legal 500 2012