Our construction practice provides specialist, in-depth expertise for clients across the full spectrum of the construction industry including: developers, occupiers, contractors, institutions, banks, consultants and insurers.
We advise on procurement strategies, development agreements, building contracts, professional appointments, warranties, guarantees and bonds, risk and project management and dispute avoidance. In addition, our litigators are able to offer strategic and tactical advice to best protect our clients in the event of a dispute arising.
Our work often involves working hand in hand with the firm's real estate lawyers and we always ensure that our advice is delivered in the context of the wider transaction and the commercial drivers behind it. We are also able to call on support from specialists elsewhere in the firm to advise on matters such as competition, the EU procurement rules, tax and finance.
We offer a comprehensive range of training to help our clients keep up to date with developments in case law and legislation or to deal with particular issues they are facing. Click here for our training menu. We would be happy to discuss arranging a session on any of these topics or tailored to your individual requirements.
Key areas of expertise include:
- Offices and commercial developers: We have a strong reputation for our work with major developers on office schemes, town centre regeneration, mixed use developments and house building. Our experience of different procurement routes and ability to anticipate the requirements of funders and end users assists the efficient and timely delivery of each project.
- Hotels and leisure: We have particular expertise in the construction of hotels, resorts and other leisure developments, acting for developers, end users and funders/investors from the luxury and boutique end of the market to the budget sector.
- Occupiers: We advise a range of office, industrial and retail businesses on the procurement of new build premises and other facilities and fitting out and reconfiguration works, including clients in the investment banking, distribution, brewing, healthcare and retail sectors.
- Infrastructure and regeneration: Our experience of infrastructure and regeneration projects includes advising on the development of wind farms, procuring berth extensions and dredging contracts for port owners and delivering major town centre redevelopment projects including civic buildings and public realm facilities.
- Education: We have acted for a number of sixth form colleges, City Academies, higher education establishments, public schools and charitable foundations in relation to both public sector and privately funded development projects.
- Private clients: We advise private clients on everything from the purchase and refurbishment of prime central London houses, buying premium apartments off plan and the forward purchase of bespoke luxury houses to the extension and restoration of country estates. The value and complexity of these projects requires a sophisticated approach, which we tailor to the specific needs of private clients.
"Clients say they are 'focused and collegiate, with a strong cultural emphasis on working together to provide an excellent service'."
Chambers UK 2016
“High-end reputation in domestic property development, acting on numerous prominent city centre projects in the retail, residential and office sectors.”
Chambers UK 2016
"Focused and collegiate, with a strong cultural emphasis on working together to provide an excellent service."
Chambers UK 2016
"Clients say they are 'very client-focused'."
Chambers UK 2015
"Macfarlanes LLP is appreciated for its 'prompt service and excellent attention to detail', and delivers 'excellent client service'."
The UK Legal 500 2014
"A broad practice particularly noted for its work for developers and funders on their various developments and infrastructure projects, and related disputes. Clients say: 'They understand our business and the wider property construction market we work in'."
Chambers UK 2014
"Macfarlanes LLP’s ‘second-to-none’ practice works across the construction industry and is increasingly instructed on international infrastructure projects."
The UK Legal 500 2013
"Sources describe the Macfarlanes construction offering as 'impressive' and 'very able.' The team acts for its substantial developer, end user and funder client base on building projects, and residential and mixed-use developments, as well as luxury and budget hotels and resorts."
Chambers UK 2013
We offer a comprehensive range of training to help our clients keep up to date with developments in case law and legislation or to deal with particular issues they are facing.
(PDF 28.7KB)Download training menu