Tier 2 sponsor licences

Economic migration to the UK is governed by a Points Based System (PBS). Tier 2 of the PBS enables skilled workers from outside the European Economic Area (EEA) to undertake employment in the UK. I

In order to sponsor a non-EEA national to work in the UK, the company must first obtain a licence from the Home Office which allows the company to sponsor the worker to fill a specific role. An employer may also be required to obtain a sponsor licence where it merges with or takes over another business which sponsors migrants under Tier 2.

When an employer becomes a Tier 2 sponsor, they must comply with a number of sponsorship duties and responsibilities and immigration law generally.

This note gives a general overview of what you need to know about Tier 2 Licences and how you can obtain one.