The successful individual will work closely with our events executive and report into the director of marketing and business development.
We are a distinctive London-based law firm, focused on our clients and on delivering excellence in the international legal market.
We are large enough to advise on the most complex matters, giving you the opportunity to work for big brand clients on challenging transactions. We are also small enough to be able to give you greater responsibility in close-knit teams. The size of the firm and its culture means that everyone knows each other and people are approachable and supportive.
We are a firm which relies on the quality of its people and their experience; this is what distinguishes us from our larger competitors and enhances our reputation for solving our clients' most complex legal issues.
Our focus is to foster an inclusive culture throughout the firm, from entry level to partnership. It is about recruiting, retaining and promoting all staff in the firm fairly, and we strive to ensure that everyone has the same chance to develop and advance. An inclusive, forward-thinking culture also enables us to provide innovative solutions to our clients.
Key areas of work will include:
- supporting the events executive in the running of events at both a firm-wide and practice area level including seminars, conferences and client entertainment;
- managing smaller events independently, under the supervision of the events executive;
- working with the business development team to ensure all events are in line with budgets and align with practice area/firm goals;
- liaising with fee earners throughout the event planning process in relation to decisions and approval, and to ensure that they are kept up-to-date with progress and fully briefed ahead of the events;
- producing event materials including invitations, confirmations, seminar hand-outs and digital presentations, signage, name badges etc. using the design package, InDesign;
- sending out event invitations and other event communications using eMarketing software Vuture, monitoring responses and analysing response data;
- managing the post-mailing process (undeliverables, unsubscribes etc) within the firm’s CRM system, InterAction;
- ensuring the firm intranet and website are up-to-date with information relating to upcoming events;
- managing registration and onsite logistics at events including early morning breakfast seminars and evening seminars/drinks receptions;
- adding relevant activities to InterAction regarding attendees, no-shows etc. and regularly archiving mailing lists;
- managing the post-event process ensuring there is appropriate follow-up and gathering feedback on the event from internal attendees;
- sourcing venues for staff and client events and maintaining an up-to-date venues and suppliers database;
- managing the use of hospitality tickets and helping with the organisation of large-scale hospitality requests and activities such as sporting events;
- managing the event inbox and responding to client queries; and
- proof reading invitations, event packs etc as well as supporting the wider marketing team with proofing requests.
The ideal candidate will have:
- previous experience within the events industry including supporting the running of events and managing smaller events independently, under supervision (ideally the candidate would have at least 3 years' experience);
- strong attention to detail and accuracy;
- excellent written and oral communication skills;
- effective interpersonal skills;
- keen to work as part of a team whilst also possessing the ability to work independently;
- ability to plan and work on several projects at any one time;
- an organised, meticulous and methodical approach to work;
- able to work under pressure and to tight deadlines; and
- Microsoft Office, specifically Word, Excel and PowerPoint.
Please note that the job description is not exhaustive and may vary in line with changes in the team’s objectives and firm’s policy.
Core hours are 9.30am to 5.30pm, but flexibility is required, including attendance at internal and external events. Overtime is available for any extra hours spent helping at events.
Our commitment to inclusion
At Macfarlanes we understand the importance of an inclusive culture, the continued development of which has been identified as one of our key priorities. Our focus is to foster an inclusive culture throughout the firm, from entry level to partnership. It is about recruiting, retaining and promoting all groups in the firm fairly, and we are continually reviewing our processes to ensure that everyone has the same chance to develop and advance. An inclusive, forward-thinking culture also enables us to provide innovative solutions to our clients.
We welcome applications from people of all backgrounds, bringing different perspectives and experiences, making Macfarlanes an exciting and stimulating place to work. We seek to recruit the best candidates, regardless of gender, race or ethnicity, background, religion, physical abilities, sexual orientation or any other characteristic.