Macfarlanes’ HR department consists of 36 employees which fall into several different teams; operations, advisory and recruitment, graduate recruitment, learning & development, internal communications, and inclusion and CSR.
The HR operations adviser sits within the operations team, with direct line management for two HR operations administrators. The successful hire will be responsible for the administrative support the team provide to the firm’s employees and partners, as well as HR. They will handle a share of the queries that are received by the team, whilst also identifying areas for improvement and implementing changes following approval from the line manager.
This is a relatively new role to Macfarlanes and we are excited to have someone in the team to identify, own and drive change within the administration function.
Key duties will include:
- Coordinate and manage the monthly payroll activities, ensuring the accurate exchange of payroll data with the payroll team.
- Ensure employee lifecycle events are recorded in the system and relevant paperwork is produced.
- Introduce an audit process and audit the data input by the operations team, ensuring consistencies and data management rules are followed.
- Ensure the electronic employee paperwork is correctly filed by the team and complies with GDPR.
- Identify processes for improvement and build consensus for change by consulting with colleagues within the wider HR team.
- Develop analysis using a range of HR data and where appropriate, produce/coordinate findings in support of HR metrics/KPIs.
- Coordinate internal immigration activities including right to work/visa requirements.
- Ensure all key documentation including emails, letter templates and HR web pages are up to date.
- Regular communication and collaboration with the wider HR team to understand each team’s objectives and approach.
- Lead, motivate and train the team to ensure they are delivering an excellent service and are equipped to handle queries as new benefits, processes and services are rolled out to the business.
- Act as the escalation point for complex cases and queries received by the team.
- Provide support on various projects and development within the HR operations team, taking a lead role on administrative projects.
- Conduct regular 1-2-1s and team meetings.
- Continuous review and analysis of processes and practices to ensure they remain fit for purpose. Work with the senior reward and benefits manager and HR operations manager to automate workflows and maximise efficiencies.
This job description encompasses the main duties of the role and is by no means exhaustive. It is anticipated that duties may vary from time to time according to the needs of the practice area.
The ideal candidate will meet the following requirements:
- Experience working in a HR operations team or a stand alone HR role.
- Experience with a wide range of HR processes and procedures with a comprehensive understanding of the wider HR function.
- Previous team leadership experience.
- Strong data management skills.
- Experience of managing processes relating to business and operational needs.
- Experience of identifying and improving processes whilst being able to see the bigger picture and taking a proactive approach to change.
- An inquisitive approach, with experience of implementing change.
- Strong Microsoft Excel skills; experience of vlookup; pivot tables and IF statements etc.
- Experience of HR systems and reporting. Previous experience of the Cascade HR system is preferable.
- Basic SQL knowledge beneficial.
Our commitment to inclusion
At Macfarlanes we understand the importance of an inclusive culture, the continued development of which has been identified as one of our key priorities. Our focus is to foster an inclusive culture throughout the firm, from entry level to partnership. It is about recruiting, retaining and promoting all groups in the firm fairly, and we are continually reviewing our processes to ensure that everyone has the same chance to develop and advance. An inclusive, forward-thinking culture also enables us to provide innovative solutions to our clients.
We welcome applications from people of all backgrounds, bringing different perspectives and experiences, making Macfarlanes an exciting and stimulating place to work. We seek to recruit the best candidates, regardless of gender, race or ethnicity, background, religion, physical abilities, sexual orientation or any other characteristic.