The role will be responsible for ongoing day-to-day support of the firm’s systems and applications, via Incident Management processes and toolkits.
The successful candidate will play an integral part in providing third-line support for a number of core business applications, maintaining and upgrading components, investigating and providing adequate root cause analysis as well as assisting with break-fix development activities to resolve production or project issues.
- To provide third-line application support to a broad range of in-house or vendor supplied applications, investigating any technical issues identified and providing appropriate solutions.
- Working with internal departments to diagnose and resolve system faults, promoting fixes to the production environment whilst adhering to internal IT processes such as version control, change management etc. or arranging for external technical support where problems cannot be resolved in house.
- Liaising with vendors as well as internal IT teams such as service desk, development / infrastructure teams, as required, to provide fast response, diagnostic and remediation of system faults that arise through day-to-day operation.
- Implementing, unit testing and integrating new applications or installing new releases / hotfixes / updates as they become available.
- Performing routine system backups and upgrades as well as monitoring, recoding and responding to requests for support.
- Maintaining and updating Test environments to ensure Test phases are effective and replicate the Live environment.
- Responsible for drafting clear and concise technical documentation and knowledge base articles whilst ensuring vital data is organised and easily referenced.
- Incorporating best-practice and following internal processes to deliver appropriate and quality solutions against defined business requirements and to specification, within agreed timeframes time frames, progressing proposals through to acceptance and test.
- ITIL Service Management Foundation certification (or equivalent).
- Ability to communicate effectively with colleagues at all levels. Liaising with users, operations, development staff, as well as stakeholders and senior management.
- Technical aptitude and experience in software support necessary to investigate and resolve problems in an expedient manner and with a commitment to client service and attention to detail.
- Relational database experience, ideally Microsoft SQL.
- Involvement in supporting core legal software packages such as Carpe Diem, Elite Enterprise / 3E, BACS, ARCS etc.
- Strong working knowledge of Microsoft based operating systems and toolsets – Windows, Windows Server, IIS, SQL Server etc. with emphasis on Windows 10.
- Exposure to Microsoft programming language(s), e.g. Visual Basic or preferably ASP .Net / C# programming languages and environments.
- Incident Management – managing incidents including business expectations and communication and dealing with escalations – within a law firm.
- Experience of industry - standard development methodologies such as Waterfall or Agile.
- Proven commercial experience of working within a law firm.
Please note that the job description is indicative and not exhaustive; as such it may vary in line with changes in the team’s objectives and firm’s policy.
Our commitment to inclusion
At Macfarlanes we understand the importance of an inclusive culture, the continued development of which has been identified as one of our key priorities. Our focus is to foster an inclusive culture throughout the firm, from entry level to partnership. It is about recruiting, retaining and promoting all groups in the firm fairly, and we are continually reviewing our processes to ensure that everyone has the same chance to develop and advance. An inclusive, forward-thinking culture also enables us to provide innovative solutions to our clients.
We welcome applications from people of all backgrounds, bringing different perspectives and experiences, making Macfarlanes an exciting and stimulating place to work. We seek to recruit the best candidates, regardless of gender, race or ethnicity, background, religion, physical abilities, sexual orientation or any other characteristic.