The role will be responsible for the supervision and management of projects and typically but not exclusively involves the development and implementation of business processes to meet identified business needs, acquiring and utilising the necessary resources and skills, within agreed parameters of cost, timescales, and quality. A good working knowledge of Microsoft Office, Project and Visio is considered essential.
The post holder will report into the program manager and play a central part in the creation of a ‘project office’ within the IT team, and in the firm's future use of technology through involvement with the following:
- Being accountable for managing projects within a programme of work, and ensuring smooth transition of systems into the production environment to ensure service levels are met.
- Taking innovative approaches to problem solving and devising inventive and creative solutions.
- Identifying, assessing and managing risks to ensure the success of individual projects and the project team’s programme as a whole.
- Taking part in new IT initiatives as required and as part of the overall IT strategy.
- Building, documenting and sharing knowledge amongst the wider IT function and business.
- Raising and maintaining the perception of the IT function within the firm.
A key part of the role is to ensure that realistic projects and quality plans are prepared and maintained, and to provide regular and accurate reports to stakeholders as appropriate. This role is also responsible for drafting and maintaining policy, standards and procedures for the project and programme management functions.
In addition the role will ensure projects and project teams are managed in line with the firm's project management methodology covering project life cycles, stages, overall and detailed plans, and project support and administration activities.
The post holder will be required to:
- Define the organisational scope of the project and produce project plans and associated documentation.
- Proactively manage the scope of a project to avoid scope creep and manage the overall project plan to ensure work is assigned and completed on time and within budget.
- Identify, manage and mitigate project risks and resolve project issues where they arise and ensure that the solution is of acceptable quality.
- Define and collect metrics to monitor progress and ascertain the acceptability of deliverables.
- Make decisions at the appropriate time, taking into account the needs of the situation, priorities, constraints and the availability of necessary information.
- Liaise with the support and technical teams to ensure smooth transition of new systems into the production environment.
- Check progress against targets, project reporting as necessary and taking action to resolve exceptions.
- Work with the wider IT team to create user acceptance documentation based on specifications.
- Conduct post-implementation follow up, to measure the success of projects.
The post holder will be required to:
- Escalate issues effectively to the IT management team and/or business stakeholders.
- Gain input from and assign project tasks to appropriate resources.
- Proactively disseminate project information to stakeholders.
- Liaise with suppliers and lawyers with regard to contract negotiation.
- Develop good working relationships in the course of project work.
The post holder will have the following abilities and aptitudes:
- Demonstrated project management / project planning skills with a good understanding of the project life cycle.
- Strong IT technical skills and experience with technologies running on Microsoft platforms.
- A desire to embrace and encourage the use of new technology.
- Excellent knowledge of development methodologies.
- Ability to consider issues and projects objectively and from a lateral perspective.
- Ability to find solutions to business problems.
- Excellent analytical and problem solving skills and a good attention to detail.
- Ability to work well under pressure in an environment with changing priorities.
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills, and good presentation skills.
- Friendly, flexible, helpful & can-do attitude and a professional manner.
- Accredited in APM, PMI or Prince2.
- Experience of managing projects within an environment that is subject to ISO 27001 or equivalent controls and procedures as well as the ITIL framework would be an advantage.
Please note that the job description is not exhaustive and may vary in line with changes in the team’s objectives and firm’s policy.
Our commitment to inclusion
At Macfarlanes we understand the importance of an inclusive culture, the continued development of which has been identified as one of our key priorities. Our focus is to foster an inclusive culture throughout the firm, from entry level to partnership. It is about recruiting, retaining and promoting all groups in the firm fairly, and we are continually reviewing our processes to ensure that everyone has the same chance to develop and advance. An inclusive, forward-thinking culture also enables us to provide innovative solutions to our clients.
We welcome applications from people of all backgrounds, bringing different perspectives and experiences, making Macfarlanes an exciting and stimulating place to work. We seek to recruit the best candidates, regardless of gender, race or ethnicity, background, religion, physical abilities, sexual orientation or any other characteristic.