Macfarlanes is a distinctive London-based law firm, focused on our clients and on delivering excellence in the international legal market. The firm's IT function has delivered a significant change programme in recent years and has embraced newer technologies to support the firm’s strategic goals and ambitions whilst retaining a service-focused culture. The job holder's role will likely develop over time in keeping with a programme of continual improvement.
The firm has an IT department of approximately 35 staff that is responsible for the delivery of all aspects of the firm's information technology systems and services, including all phases of design, build implementation and operations. The team is split into service delivery (including service desk and user adoption), technical services (including IT support and infrastructure), applications & development and information security.
The support analyst roles sit within the IT support team which consists of seven staff and is responsible for second and third line desktop support, desktop security, hardware & software deployment, remote access using Direct Access and Citrix, and a range of collaboration and AV services.
The ideal candidate should have excellent trouble-shooting skills, be able to work under pressure, and be capable of juggling a number of tasks at one time. This job is a client-facing role and would suit someone with technical skills who enjoys working with people. The job-holder will be expected to work with the minimum of supervision. The candidate must be confident and capable of communicating at all levels. It should be noted that this post will require the lifting and carrying of equipment as a matter of course. As support may be required at either end of the working day this role will require a flexible approach to shift patterns.
- Researching, diagnosing, troubleshooting and identifying solutions to resolve hardware and software issues.
- Assist with the admin and management of the current remote access solutions (Citrix & Direct Access).
- Assist with the admin and management of the current endpoint security products.
- Assist with the admin and management of the current software and patch deployment solution.
- Maintenance of Active Directory.
- Diagnose and troubleshoot technical issues, including account setup and network configuration.
- Liaise with service desk and users, reporting back on the state of outstanding issues through to resolution.
- Prioritise and manage several open issues at one time.
- Liaise with suppliers of support services.
- Monitor performance and ensure system availability and reliability.
- Work within established configuration and change management policies to ensure awareness, approval and success of changes.
- Physically move and install hardware devices.
- Responsibilities will require working a shift pattern and may require evening and weekend work in response to needs of the systems being supported.
- Other related tasks as so directed.
- Proven work experience within 2nd/3rd support.
- Hands on and proven work experience in remote access technologies such as Citrix XenApp, XenMobile, Direct Access and a good understanding of Citrix Netscaler.
- Hands-on experience with Windows OS environments and Active Directory (including Group Policy).
- Hands on and proven work experience in end point security.
- Hands on and proven work experience in Windows and application deployment using SCCM.
- Ability to diagnose and troubleshoot technical issues.
- Familiarity with remote desktop applications, desktop security products and service desk software.
- Excellent problem-solving and communication skills.
- Ability to provide step-by-step technical help, both written and verbal.
- Excellent organisational skills.
- Self-motivated team player but able to work with minimal supervision.
Please note that the job description is indicative and not exhaustive; as such it may vary in line with changes in the team’s objectives and firm’s policy.
Our commitment to inclusion
At Macfarlanes we understand the importance of an inclusive culture, the continued development of which has been identified as one of our key priorities. Our focus is to foster an inclusive culture throughout the firm, from entry level to partnership. It is about recruiting, retaining and promoting all groups in the firm fairly, and we are continually reviewing our processes to ensure that everyone has the same chance to develop and advance. An inclusive, forward-thinking culture also enables us to provide innovative solutions to our clients.
We welcome applications from people of all backgrounds, bringing different perspectives and experiences, making Macfarlanes an exciting and stimulating place to work. We seek to recruit the best candidates, regardless of gender, race or ethnicity, background, religion, physical abilities, sexual orientation or any other characteristic.