We are an independent London-based law firm with a high profile client base from around the world. We are known for the quality of our work, both in terms of our ability to handle the full range of corporate and commercial matters, and the fact that we can advise our clients on their private affairs. We handle work of the highest quality and complexity on a wide range of matters.
Our size and partner-led approach enable us to give our clients a more personal service underpinned by the highest standards of commitment and care.
As well as that, our independence allows us to choose precisely the right lawyer or firm for our clients' needs in any jurisdiction in the world.
The firm's IT function is transitioning from a traditional reactive model providing white-glove service to its user base to a more forward-looking function that embraces newer technologies to support the firm’s strategic goals and ambitions whilst retaining a service-focused culture. The job holder's role will likely develop over time in conjunction with these changes.
The firm has an IT department of approximately 35 staff and is responsible for the delivery of all aspects of the firm's information technology systems and services, including all phases of design, build implementation and operations. The team is split into service delivery (including service desk and user adoption), technical services (including IT support and infrastructure) and applications & development.
Working within an ITIL framework and reporting to the service desk manager, service desk analysts are responsible for the processing and coordination of appropriate and timely responses to incident reports and other support requests, including channelling requests for help to appropriate functions for resolution, monitoring resolution activity, and keeping clients appraised of progress towards service restoration.
The onsite service desk operate from 7am to 9pm, Monday to Friday. The team work flexibly to cover these hours on a rotating shift basis. Hours outside of the above are covered by a third party provider.
- Managing IT incidents, problems and change requests on behalf of internal clients.
- Answering and dealing with incoming calls and emails.
- Entering call details into a service desk system (ServiceNow).
- Dealing with and signing off enquiries and incidents as the first line of support.
- Providing initial second line support work to assist the second line support team and third line technicians.
- Prioritising calls and escalating them appropriately.
- Acting as a single point of contact, chasing calls on behalf of users and keeping them appraised of progress.
The job holder will also work with the rest of the service delivery team, technical services team, and all other relevant internal and external resources available to them, to:
- Promote IT and provide a channel of communication between the IT department and the rest of the firm.
- Help develop and implement procedures for event management (new software, presentations etc), incident management (serious issues and outages), request fulfilment (laptops, chargers etc), and access management (joiners, leavers etc).
- Maintain Active Directory.
- Maintain remote access system.
- Carry out floor walking and provide guidance at users’ desks.
- Periodically “hot desk” within other departments.
- Help deliver and continuously improve an ITIL-aligned support capability.
This job description encompasses the main duties of the role and is by no means exhaustive. It is anticipated that duties may vary from time to time according to the needs of the practice area.
Required skills are as follows:
Broad, general IT knowledge gained in a professional services environment, including:
- Office 2010 or later.
- Windows 10.
- PC basics.
- ServiceNow experience would be advantageous.
Strong technical knowledge of the following key products is preferred, including:
- Microsoft Office - Word (templates, styles and formatting), Excel, PowerPoint and Outlook.
- Practice management - Elite Enterprise or 3E, Carpe Diem.
- Document management – iManage Work and FileSite.
- Document Comparison – CompareDocs or Deltaview.
- Digital dictation – BigHand.
- Remote access – Citrix and Direct Access.
- Mobile phones – iPhone, BlackBerry, MDM such as SecureMail.
- CRM – Interaction.
Ability to develop an understanding of the firm’s network and server infrastructure, including:
- Device management, including Surface Pro.
- BlackBerry and iPhone device troubleshooting.
- Mailbox management (permissions and size) including Exchange Management Console.
- Releasing emails and recovering deleted emails within Mimecast.
- Troubleshooting email flow from internal users to external clients and vice versa.
- Basic understanding of Active Directory Group Policy and login scripts.
- Active Directory maintenance (group membership, user details, distribution lists).
- Outlook/Windows profiles; troubleshooting, maintaining and installing.
- Network print queue maintenance.
- Remote access maintenance via Citrix Management Console.
- Outline understanding of firewalls and antivirus (particularly for home use).
- A good understanding of wifi connections/internet access and remote access for home use.
- Team focus showing reliability, commitment and flexibility.
- Customer service and communication skills, including listening skills.
- Investigative and problem solving skills, including the ability to carry out own research into new problems to avoid unnecessary escalation.
- Ability to take ownership of issues.
- Ability to inspire trust and confidence of clients, colleagues and managers.
- Ability to remain calm and focused under pressure.
- Prepared to become fully engaged in projects.
- Awareness of and strong interest in developing technologies.
- Ability to assist smooth handover from development into production.
Our commitment to inclusion
At Macfarlanes we understand the importance of an inclusive culture, the continued development of which has been identified as one of our key priorities. Our focus is to foster an inclusive culture throughout the firm, from entry level to partnership. It is about recruiting, retaining and promoting all groups in the firm fairly, and we are continually reviewing our processes to ensure that everyone has the same chance to develop and advance. An inclusive, forward-thinking culture also enables us to
Provide innovative solutions to our clients.
We welcome applications from people of all backgrounds, bringing different perspectives and experiences, making Macfarlanes an exciting and stimulating place to work. We seek to recruit the best candidates, regardless of gender, race or ethnicity, background, religion, physical abilities, sexual orientation or any other characteristic.