The knowledge & legal technology executive will report jointly to the knowledge manager and legal technology & innovation manager and will play a key role in supporting the central KM and LT&I functions and the firm’s professional support lawyers across a variety of practice groups.
The KM and LT&I teams, together with the firm’s central information services team, form the wider knowledge, innovation & legal technology group.
About the knowledge, innovation & legal technology group.
As a firm, we are committed to ensuring that we are at the forefront of how new technologies, processes and solutions are utilised in a legal practice context. The work of the knowledge, innovation & legal technology group is broadly divided across three areas:
- The knowledge management team - supports the effective management of the firm’s knowledge through the use of knowledge technologies and systems and by working closely with partners, Professional Support Lawyers and staff on knowledge sharing and collaboration initiatives.
- The legal technology & innovation team – is responsible for exploring and implementing innovative solutions across the firm, including in relation to artificial intelligence and data analytics, automated precedents and processes, legal process and project management, e-signing and proof-reading support.
- The information services team - is responsible for managing the firm’s hardcopy and online legal information resources, providing an enquiry service answering research enquiries and undertaking both legal and company research on behalf of fee earners.
About the role
The role will primarily support the central KM and LT&I teams and the firm’s professional support lawyers from a variety of practice groups in the delivery of their work, largely on allocated days. The practice areas requiring support include real estate, construction and engineering, financial services and finance.
The role involves delivery of a broad range of work including:
- Supporting the implementation and management of client innovation products and services
- Updating automated documents using Contract Express software
- Supporting the implementation of legal technology solutions using HighQ collaborate
- Providing advice and support to users on how to use our technology solutions and platforms
- Helping to test and maintain the firm's knowledge and legal technology systems, including the search engine, in particular when new features/functionality are added to these systems
- Helping to create and keep up-to-date user guides and training materials (including e-learning) on how to use the firm's knowledge and legal technology systems
- Entering, tagging, updating and archiving a range of legal know how including precedents and transactional bibles
- Assisting in the preparation and management of intranet content and e-bulletins
- Updating clauses in precedents (e.g. boiler plate provisions)
- Running statistical usage reports and analysis of the firm’s knowledge and legal technology systems
- Assisting with the ongoing maintenance and review of the firm’s legal taxonomies and providing input to help improve the rules which facilitate automated processes and classification of legal content
- Pro-actively communicating between the central KM and LT&I teams and the professional support teams in the practice areas
- Providing general assistance to professional support lawyers and the KM and LT&I teams
- Ad hoc project work
About the candidate
The right candidate will be committed to providing high quality support to our professional support lawyers, KM and LT&I teams. The individual will be personable and quickly able to gain the trust and confidence of knowledge, innovation & legal technology colleagues and professional support lawyers across the firm. Enthusiasm, accuracy and professionalism must be demonstrated.
Ideally the candidate will have:
- A keen interest in knowledge management, legal technology and the practice areas requiring support
- An undergraduate degree, similar higher education or equivalent experience
- An organised, meticulous and methodical approach to work and a keen eye for detail
- An aptitude for using technology and be highly computer literate, including familiarity with MS Office (Word, Excel and PowerPoint), database software and typical office IT systems generally
- Excellent written and oral communication
- The ability to be self-motivated, disciplined, take a pro-active stance, work flexibly and independently following appropriate instruction or in a team, and take responsibility for the work product delivered
- Effective interpersonal skills and the ability to interact with people at all levels
Please note that training will be provided on all knowledge and legal technology systems used. Knowledge of the solutions mentioned is desirable, but not essential.
Please note that the job description is not exhaustive and may vary in line with changes in the team’s objectives and firm’s policy.