Learning & development (L&D) is an established and highly regarded function at Macfarlanes. The firm is looking to appoint a learning & development assistant to join the team and manage the full training cycle for lawyers, trainees, paralegals and business services staff.
The successful candidate will be a highly efficient organiser, with the ability to demonstrate initiative and work under pressure. Clear and confident communication skills are a must as the role involves dealing with internal clients and external contacts on a daily basis. This would be a good first role for someone keen for a career in L&D.
Key areas of work will include:
- first point of contact for L&D queries;
- work with the L&D managers and senior adviser to ensure the smooth deployment of the firm’s development programmes;
- manage all course communications including course adverts, invitations, reminders, and evaluation requests, reviewing these on a regular basis to ensure they are accurate and up to date;
- responsible for all on-the-day course logistics including room set up, materials, AV support and meeting external providers where necessary;
- collate and summarise course evaluations for the L&D managers and senior adviser, circulating to internal stakeholders and external providers as appropriate;
- monitor and review attendance at L&D courses, reporting on course completion on a quarterly basis;
- create ad hoc reports for Learning Management System as required, manipulating raw data into useful reports and providing valuable insights;
- contribute to maintaining and developing provider relationships;
- develop and maintain effective working relationships at all levels within the firm, building confidence, trust and respect;
- strive for continuous improvement of department administration including processes, procedures and systems;
- support the HR/L&D executive with Learning Management System administration where necessary;
- independently administer the firm’s programme of language lessons, advertising, monitoring interest and arranging classes on a quarterly basis;
- maintain the department intranet pages, regularly reviewing to ensure accuracy; and
- provide administrative support for ad-hoc projects and initiatives.
Please note that the job description is not exhaustive and may vary in line with changes in the team’s objectives and firm’s policy.
Core hours are 9.30am to 5.30pm, but flexibility is regularly required, including early morning and evening attendance when setting up and clearing down training sessions.
- educated to A level or above;
- experience in a busy office role; and
- experience using systems/databases essential.
- experience in a busy L&D team;
- experience in a demanding professional services environment or similar; and
- experience implementing learning management system highly desirable.
- first class written and verbal communication essential;
- positive manner with strong team and delivery focus;
- ability to prioritise and meet tight deadlines;
- excellent attention to detail;
- strong project management and organisational skills; and
- high level of PC/database skills, including MS Office.
Our commitment to inclusion
At Macfarlanes we understand the importance of an inclusive culture, the continued development of which has been identified as one of our key priorities. Our focus is to foster an inclusive culture throughout the firm, from entry level to partnership. It is about recruiting, retaining and promoting all groups in the firm fairly, and we are continually reviewing our processes to ensure that everyone has the same chance to develop and advance. An inclusive, forward-thinking culture also enables us to provide innovative solutions to our clients.
We welcome applications from people of all backgrounds, bringing different perspectives and experiences, making Macfarlanes an exciting and stimulating place to work. We seek to recruit the best candidates, regardless of gender, race or ethnicity, background, religion, physical abilities, sexual orientation or any other characteristic.
Direct applicants only. Strictly no agencies.