The role will involve day to day line management responsibilities for the reception and switchboard teams, including managing performance/absence issues, producing and managing the rota, authorising holiday/logging absence as required, conducting annual and half year appraisals and providing development. The successful candidate will be responsible for reviewing existing standards and procedures, implementing best practice and putting forward ideas for improving processes and services and increasing efficiencies.
Responsibilities will include:
- Answering switchboard enquiries with the correct standard greeting, taking down key details, putting callers through to a relevant member of staff wherever possible and taking messages where appropriate.
- Ensuring that all visitors are greeted in a welcoming yet professional manner, shown to the waiting area and the appropriate person is informed of their arrival. Visitor badges and/or temporary passes should be issued to those authorised to work in the building who are not employed by Macfarlanes, and their details logged. Records should be kept of attendance on assessment and open days. The waiting area should be kept clean and tidy.
- Ensuring the booking system grid and reception inbox are monitored and all room bookings, amendments and cancellations are entered correctly on to the Condeco booking system and confirmations are sent. Ensuring daily reports from the booking system for IT, catering and maintenance are produced for the next working day.
- Ensuring meeting rooms are checked every morning and then at intervals throughout the day. Meeting rooms should be clear and clean prior to reusing the room. Rooms should be set up as requested: refreshments and equipment ordered should be booked and put in place prior to the meeting and removed once the meeting has concluded. Meeting rooms and room configurations should be checked daily before the start of business and any last minute room bookings should be handled efficiently.
- Liaising with the facilities team to discuss any room changes and maintenance issues, contacting the cleaner if any extra cleaning needs to be done. Liaising with the hospitality manager and team and supporting them as and when required.
- Ensuring taxis and cars are ordered as required, they arrive on time and that the details are recorded.
- Ensuring courier deliveries are directed to the post room, and any hand delivered items are forwarded to the correct person as soon as possible.
- Ensuring any other reasonable duties and projects are undertaken as required.
This job description encompasses the main duties of the role and is by no means exhaustive. It is anticipated that duties may vary from time to time according to the needs of the department.
The role requires an individual with the following attributes/experience:
- Previous experience in a supervisory/team leader role.
- Strong leadership skills and an ability to motivate others.
- Articulate and confident with good communication and interpersonal skills.
- Experience/knowledge of working with a Hospitality Management Suite, preferably Condeco.
- Computer literate including MS Office.
- Ability to remain calm under pressure and deal with people at all levels.
- Smartly turned out with excellent personal presentation.
- Efficient and well organised with a good attention to detail.
- Flexibility with working hours and occasional overtime.
Core hours are 9.30am to 5.30pm but the role will also cover shifts from 7am to 7pm.
We will endeavour to give you as much notice of your additional required hours as possible, and:
- where at least one week's notice is given, you undertake to be available for the hours notified, unless you have pre-booked holiday;
- where less than one week's notice is given (for example where we have an urgent need for cover for sickness absence), you undertake to make reasonable efforts to be available for the hours notified.
Our commitment to inclusion
At Macfarlanes we understand the importance of an inclusive culture, the continued development of which has been identified as one of our key priorities. Our focus is to foster an inclusive culture throughout the firm, from entry level to partnership. It is about recruiting, retaining and promoting all groups in the firm fairly, and we are continually reviewing our processes to ensure that everyone has the same chance to develop and advance. An inclusive, forward-thinking culture also enables us to provide innovative solutions to our clients.
We welcome applications from people of all backgrounds, bringing different perspectives and experiences, making Macfarlanes an exciting and stimulating place to work. We seek to recruit the best candidates, regardless of gender, race or ethnicity, background, religion, physical abilities, sexual orientation or any other characteristic.