The Banking and Finance Group comprises 7 partners, 3 senior counsel, 18 associates, a dedicated professional support lawyer, 5 trainees and 4 paralegals. The Group continues to grow and in the last three years has promoted 3 partners and 2 senior counsel and recruited 6 associates laterally.
In light of the success of our practice and the volume of client demand, we are now looking to recruit an additional outstanding mid-level associate.
We operate predominantly in our core financing practice areas of leveraged and acquisition finance, syndicated and corporate lending, fund finance, speciality finance, structured finance, debt capital markets (including high yield bonds), project finance, real estate finance, secondary loan transfers and loan and derivatives portfolio acquisitions, distressed and special situations debt investments and restructuring and insolvency, as well as on more bespoke transactions (and amendments, restatements and refinancings of all of the foregoing).
We aim to maintain a balanced practice, and act across a range of clients including private equity sponsors, corporate borrowers, banks, credit funds and other ‘alternative’ lenders, issuers and underwriters, leading hedge funds and investment and asset managers.
Our practice is highly rated in the market and our clients turn to us for advice on structuring and documenting their most challenging transactions, often via innovative instruments and structures.
Duties will include:
- Working closely with partners, senior counsel and more senior associates to draft / review, negotiate and manage the execution of key finance documents – term sheets, facility agreements, note instruments, common terms agreements, intercreditor agreements, amendment agreements;
- Drafting / reviewing and negotiating security documents (including security release documentation) and related ancillary documents
- Drafting / reviewing and negotiating other ancillary finance documents – fee letters, hedging letters, legal opinions, conditions precedent satisfaction letters
- Managing more junior associates, trainees and paralegals on transactions, including supervision and management of CP documentation and processes
- Working on the financing aspects of acquisition and leveraged financing transactions, e.g. in relation to review and comment on sale and purchase arrangements, deal structuring and funds flow and financing due diligence exercises
- Transaction management responsibility, from inception through to execution, closing and funding.
The Group is looking to recruit an associate who trained and has 2 to 4 years' subsequent UK post-qualification experience with a Magic Circle or Silver Circle firm. The ideal candidate will have significant acquisition finance, syndicated lending and project finance experience. They will be eager to develop their expertise in these and other of our practice areas.
In addition they will fulfil the following criteria:
- Strong academic qualifications (minimum three As at A level and a 2:1 degree (or equivalent) from a Russell Group university)
- At least one Banking and Finance seat completed during the lawyer’s training contract (preferably more)
- Demonstrable interest in finance per se
- Ambitious, with a genuine commitment to develop their professional and legal skills and the profile of the team
- Articulate and confident to deliver at the highest standard within a team of highly competent solicitors at the top of their game
- Friendly and collegiate, so as to fit well with our team.
We want to add lawyers of the highest quality to our team. They need to want to take on responsibility (as client contact is encouraged), and to seek to realise their ambitions through the self-development of their technical and soft skills.
We are recognised for the quality of our work, which competes with the Magic Circle, and the quality of our people is an essential element of this – any recruitment will only be made if this high standard is met, and we will not recruit merely to make up our numbers.
Macfarlanes is a distinctive law firm with a straightforward, independently-minded approach. We offer a stimulating workplace, with excellent prospects and a real opportunity for ambitious lawyers to develop and work for quality clients on complex and rewarding transactions. Our Banking and Finance team has an excellent reputation for producing strong lawyers who feel part of a cohesive, friendly and supportive team, and whose efforts are appreciated and rewarded by the firm. Part of our drive to achieve is shown by the importance we place on the development of our solicitors’ legal and commercial skills - we believe our Education and Training programme is second to none.
Competitive salary and benefits package
Opening date: 30 August 2018
Closing date: 27 September 2018
Direct applications only. Strictly no agencies.