About the team
The Employment group comprises of two partners, six solicitors, one PSL and one trainee solicitor. The team is known as being very friendly and collegiate, and so the right person would need to fit well within the group.
About the work
The team offers a full employment service to our clients covering employment advisory work and employment litigation, as well as transactional support to the Corporate and M&A Group. We track the division of the practice between work categories: typically advisory work (including contract work, restructurings, disciplinaries and grievances, terminations etc) represents approximately 50% of the group’s work; transactional support work about 35% of the practice, and employment litigation represents approximately 15% of our work. Occasionally we represent senior executives; however, this is a very small part of what we do. The mix of work ensures the team has a good grasp of the full range of employment law. Few of the team's instructions are for routine or commoditised work, reflecting the group's quality and breadth.
We have separate teams (outside the Employment Group) advising on immigration, data protection, pensions and benefits. While our Employment team handles all kinds of employment tribunal litigation as well as team moves and restrictive covenant work, formal High Court litigation is handled outside the group in the Firm's thriving Litigation Department. We work closely with our colleagues in the Litigation Department as part of a cross departmental group.
Our client mix leans towards financial services, from large organisations such as Legal & General and Schroders, to boutique private equity houses and hedge funds. Here the team has particular expertise in complex LLP and remuneration structures. Other important areas include advertising, sport and hotels, management teams and senior executives on occasion.
About the role
The individual will provide employment advice to a range of clients, as well as to colleagues seeking advice from various practice areas within the firm. The candidate will have good experience of:
- Advising employer clients on a range of HR issues, in both contentious and non-contentious settings;
- Drafting and negotiating bespoke contracts; and
- Winning the confidence of clients by delivering quality legal advice in a commercial way.
About the candidate
We want to recruit a lawyer that fulfils the following criteria:
- 3 to 5 years’ PQE with experience gained within a Magic Circle, Silver Circle, US firm or an employment practice ranked tier 1 or 2 in The Legal 500;
- Strong academic qualifications from A Levels (or equivalent), with a minimum 2:1 degree in Law (or equivalent) from a highly regarded institution;
- Articulate and confident to deliver at the highest standard within a team of highly competent solicitors;
- Willing to take on responsibility;
- Be committed and motivated; and
- Possess excellent interpersonal skills at all levels.
We are recognised for the quality of our work, and the quality of our solicitors is an essential element of this – any recruitment will only be made if this high standard is met.
We strive to provide our solicitors with long-term careers and have a career development programme in place which is designed to support each of our solicitors’ aspirations, enabling them to enhance their legal skills, and to reach their full potential. We believe our development programme is second to none.
Please note that the job description is not exhaustive and may vary in line with changes in the team’s objectives and the firm’s policy.