The successful candidate will have excellent academic credentials, high quality legal experience, energy and enthusiasm. We are looking for a solicitor who will enjoy working in a cohesive team and is keen to support the firm’s goal of providing outstanding client service. We are committed to providing first class training and support to all our lawyers.
This is a very busy team of 5 partners, 12 solicitors and a number of trainees, who regularly advise global corporations and financial institutions in relation to some of their most significant and sensitive international disputes, investigations and enforcement matters. The team carries out a broad spectrum of work including: independent investigations, s166 and ‘shadow’ s166 reports; FCA and SFO led investigations and enforcement actions; global regulatory investigations; and litigation for financial services businesses and institutions.
The way we work:
We expect all our solicitors to work closely with clients and assume real responsibility.
Assistants are not allocated to a specific partner for all their work and so will gain experience on a variety of matters.
Our matters often have a cross-border element, so our solicitors frequently liaise with specialists in overseas jurisdictions
Teams are partner lead, and so our solicitors learn and develop through working closely with a senior member of the team. We staff matters with lean teams so all team members get real involvement in a project.
The team (and the firm) works in a very collegiate manner. There are no chargeable time targets for associates.
Continued professional education is an important part of life at all levels within the team.
Business development with the leading independent firms around the world (but particularly in the US) is very important and associates at all levels are encouraged to get involved with this.
We are recognised for the quality of our work, which competes with the Magic Circle, and the quality of our people is an essential element of this – any recruitment will only be made if this high standard is met, and we will not recruit merely to make up our numbers.
The nature of the role
Key duties will include:
- High levels of responsibility
- Day-to-day contact with clients, regulators (including FCA and SFO), overseas lawyers and LPOs
- Providing legal, regulatory and tactical advice
- Preparing for and interviewing witnesses
- Marshalling and understanding detailed facts including financial data, e-communications and witness evidence
This job description encompasses the main duties of the role and is by no means exhaustive. It is anticipated that duties may vary from time to time accordingly in line with the needs of the practice area.
We want to recruit a lawyer that fulfils the following criteria:
- An ambitious, self-starter with the confidence to take on a significant level of responsibility and who has genuine interest and enthusiasm for the area of practice
- Strong academic qualifications from A Levels, with a minimum 2:1 degree
- 2 to 3 years’ post-qualification experience from a litigation practice
- Experience of working in large scale international regulatory investigations
- Detailed knowledge of FCA rules, procedures and processes
- Ideally, experience of SFO rules, procedures and processes and familiarity with key relevant aspects of criminal law
- Good post-qualification experience in general commercial litigation (in particular, international cross border disputes)
- A genuine commitment to develop their professional and legal skills and the profile of the team
- Articulate and confident to deliver at the highest standard
- Capable and enthusiastic about developing this area of our practice both internally (predominantly through education) and externally (through business development).
For us, it is all about the individual and their capabilities. We are looking for somebody who can hit the ground running and work independently without the need for constant guidance. We need somebody who is technically confident so when business needs require, the Assistant can hold their own and answer any technical questions a client might have.
Direct applications only.