We are a distinctive London-based law firm, focused on our clients and on delivering excellence in the international legal market.
We are large enough to advise on the most complex matters, giving you the opportunity to work for big brand clients on challenging transactions. We are also small enough to be able to give you greater responsibility in close-knit teams. The size of the firm and its culture means that everyone knows each other and people are approachable and supportive.
We are a firm which relies on the quality of its people and their experience; this is what distinguishes us from our larger competitors and enhances our reputation for solving our clients' most complex legal issues.
Our focus is to foster an inclusive culture throughout the firm, from entry level to partnership. It is about recruiting, retaining and promoting all staff in the firm fairly, and we strive to ensure that everyone has the same chance to develop and advance. An inclusive, forward-thinking culture also enables us to provide innovative solutions to our clients.
The practice has 13 partners, an in-house QC, 39 solicitors of which four are senior counsel, 10 trainees, one professional support lawyer, one costs lawyer and 10 paralegals.
The department undertakes a broad range of litigation and arbitration work, including corporate and commercial disputes, financial services and regulatory issues and investigations, trust and probate litigation, major construction, fraud, corporate crime and cross border disputes, and real estate litigation.
We have experienced rapid growth in recent years, doubling revenue in under five years. We have promoted three partners in the past few years and expect further promotions to be made in the coming years.
In light of the success of our practice and the volume of instructions that we are receiving from our clients, we are looking to strengthen our team by developing a legal consultancy unit.
The unit will provide the litigation practice with additional support during busy periods.
Duties may include:
- providing advice from the early stages of a dispute on litigation, arbitration and settlement strategies;
- day to day management of disputes, including drafting statements of case and application documents, witness evidence, etc.;
- being involved in the management of substantial cases, from the outset of the case through to final hearing. On smaller matters, the role may involve working directly for the supervising partner. On larger matters, it is likely that the role will involve being part of a larger team;
- working with our Case Management Unit in relation to document and data review; and
- drafting correspondence.
This job description encompasses the main duties of the role and is by no means exhaustive. It is anticipated that duties may vary from time to time according to the needs of the department.
We want to add freelance lawyers of the highest quality to our consultancy unit. The ideal individual will fulfil the following criteria:
- strong academic qualifications from A Levels, with a minimum 2:1 degree;
- post-qualification experience from a highly regarded litigation practice;
- the ability to advise on and deliver commercial solutions to complex disputes;
- good post-qualification experience in general commercial litigation, with experience in international cross border disputes and investigations; and
- articulate and confident to deliver at the highest standard.
We are in essence looking for general commercial litigators but one or more of the roles may involve:
- dealing with corporate and shareholder disputes, joint ventures and other private company issues. Experience of funds and private equity structures would be useful;
- handling private client and contentious trust disputes; and
- fraud and corporate crime matters.
For this role we will only accept direct applications. We do not accept unsolicited CVs.
Our commitment to inclusion
We welcome applications from people of all backgrounds, bringing different perspectives and experiences, making Macfarlanes an exciting and stimulating place to work. We seek to recruit the best candidates, regardless of gender, race or ethnicity, background, religion, physical abilities, sexual orientation or any other characteristic.