About the firm
We are a distinctive London-based law firm, focused on our clients and on delivering excellence in the international legal market. We are large enough to advise on the most complex matters and our lawyers work for big brand clients on challenging transactions. We are also small enough to be able to give you greater responsibility in close-knit teams. The size of the firm and its culture means that everyone knows each other and people are approachable and supportive.
We are a firm which relies on the quality of its people and their experience; this is what distinguishes us from our larger competitors and enhances our reputation for solving our clients' most complex legal issues.
The successful individual will lead the firm’s conflicts team, comprising six senior and junior conflicts and CDD analysts, working within the risk management department as part of its client matter inception (CMI) team.
In summary, the position involves deputising for the GC on any conflicts or confidential information management issues including; leading on the running of conflicts searches (using Intapp's Open software), maintenance and updating of information barriers (using Prosperoware's Milan software), liaising with IT on any risk/software projects, updating of relevant policies and procedures, firm-wide conflicts training and some review of supplier/client contracts.
Duties will include:
- the day to day management of issues relating to conflicts of interest and confidential information, working closely with the GC as well as partners of the firm (using Intapp’s Open software);
- managing the conflicts team which are responsible for reviewing incoming conflicts searches and, where relevant, seeking enhanced information and grading conflicts returns as green, amber or red;
- heading the CMI team within RM, along with the deputy MLRO (who leads the team’s CDD responsibilities);
- updating the firm’s conflicts and confidential information related policies and procedures, including providing firm-wide conflicts training as required;
- acting as the firm’s subject matter expert relating to the management of internal and external conflicts queries;
- maintaining and updating the firm’s information barriers using Prosperoware's Milan software;
- first point of contact with the firm's IT department and the chief information officer in relation to risk issues, particularly conflicts and information barrier related;
- willingness to engage with and train on other RM procedures including client due diligence; and
- assisting the GC and the department's risk & compliance lawyer with a range of research requests and other projects, including review of supplier/client contracts and Own Counsel Guidelines.
Please note that the job description is not exhaustive and may vary in line with changes in the team’s objectives and firm’s policy.
The successful candidate will have extensive experience of analysing conflicts of interest matters in a legal environment, and ideally be legally qualified. It would be advantageous to have previous team leader or “head of” experience.
In addition they will have:
- strong academic qualifications from A Levels (or equivalent), with a minimum 2:1 degree;
- proven organisational skills and the ability to head a small, multi-tasking team;
- a confident approach with sufficient gravitas to enable liaison with partners on priority conflicts issues;
- detailed analytical skills;
- the ability to effectively communicate, both written and verbal, with stakeholders at all levels;
- a proven background of taking responsibility for delivering tasks and following through with the resolution of issues, including meeting deadlines and working in a fast-paced environment;
- good working knowledge of Intapp's Open software, some information barriers software and systems experience, Microsoft Word and Excel; and
- a personable, positive and upbeat attitude.
Our commitment to inclusion
At Macfarlanes we understand the importance of an inclusive culture, the continued development of which has been identified as one of our key priorities. Our focus is to foster an inclusive culture throughout the firm, from entry level to partnership. It is about recruiting, retaining and promoting all groups in the firm fairly, and we are continually reviewing our processes to ensure that everyone has the same chance to develop and advance. An inclusive, forward-thinking culture also enables us to provide innovative solutions to our clients.
We welcome applications from people of all backgrounds, bringing different perspectives and experiences, making Macfarlanes an exciting and stimulating place to work. We seek to recruit the best candidates, regardless of gender, race or ethnicity, background, religion, physical abilities, sexual orientation or any other characteristic.
To apply please email email@example.com