The banking and finance team currently has seven partners, three senior counsel, 23 solicitors, one professional support lawyer, five trainees and five paralegals. We focus on complex, cross-border finance transactions rather than volume financing work and advise in the following core areas:
- leveraged finance
- fund finance
- restructuring and insolvency
- structured finance (including securitisation and CLOs)
- real estate finance
- mezzanine finance
- syndicated loans
In almost all of these areas, we have developed our practice to represent all key stakeholders, thereby ensuring that we have a balance of expertise and experience within the team. Our main competitors are the leading City and US firms in London.
Broadly, the role will involve working closely with the banking and finance fee earners in the following areas:
1. Transactional assistance
The primary role will be to assist team members in relation to a variety of finance transactions including on:
- the preparation and collation of conditions precedent documentation (e.g. board minutes, shareholder resolutions and directors certificates)
- the production of revised drafts of finance documents using as a reference previously negotiated and agreed documents
- the review of company searches and completion of company search review forms
- the signing and closing arrangements for financing transactions (including drafting completion agendas, arranging signatories, checking quorum of directors and arranging for execution of finance documents)
- the organisation of overseas lawyers to tie in with completion arrangements
- the registration of security interests
- the preparation of post-completion documentation bibles
2. Other support
In addition but secondary to the transactional assistance outlined above, the role will involve:
- working with the banking and finance professional support lawyer, who reports directly to the head of banking and finance
- assisting with billing procedures, working with fee earners and our billing co-ordinators to ensure that matters are billed accurately and on time
- running client on-boarding procedures
- producing pitch documents and marketing materials, working with fee earners and our marketing team
The right candidate will be self-motivated, disciplined and committed to providing high quality administrative and, where appropriate, technical legal support in a practical context.
The candidate will also need to demonstrate qualities that will fit within a cohesive, supportive and friendly team. The collegiality of the team is viewed by the partners as central to its success.
Ideally the candidate will have:
- strong academic qualifications from A Levels, with a minimum 2:1 degree, obtained from a well-respected institution
- previous paralegal experience within a banking and finance team
- a keen interest in banking and finance related matters
- excellent written and oral communication, drafting and research skills
- an organised, meticulous and methodical approach to work
- the ability to take a self-motivated, pro-active stance; to work flexibly and independently following appropriate instruction or in a team, and to take responsibility for the work product delivered
- effective interpersonal skills and the ability to interact with people at all levels
- familiarity with standard WP (Word 2010, MS Office), database and research software and typical office IT systems generally
We have a paralegal development programme which is designed to equip our paralegals with the broad range of skills and knowledge they need to be effective in their roles. The programme also includes sessions covering essential legal and business skills required at the start of a career in law, recognising the fact that many solicitors begin their careers as paralegals. For the right candidate, this role could either provide an opportunity for a long-term paralegal position or potentially a stepping stone towards a training contract.
Please note that the job description is not exhaustive and may vary in line with changes in the team’s objectives and the firm’s policy.