Broadly, we want to recruit a paralegal that fulfils the following criteria:
- Strong academic qualifications from A Levels, with a minimum 2:1 degree
- Some work experience from a Magic Circle, Silver Circle or US law firm or a financial institution – in particular experience in the broker-dealer or hedge fund community is an advantage
- Ability to work across teams – the role will require the paralegal to work with investment banks, hedge funds and other law firms across multiple jurisdictions
- Excellent organisational skills – the role is process-orientated, organising negotiation and document execution to very demanding timetables
- Ambitious, with a genuine commitment to develop their professional and legal skills
- Articulate and confident to deliver at the highest standard in a fast-paced environment
We take a flexible approach to recruitment and aim to recruit people that we believe show talent, motivation and potential – so there is some flexibility in the criteria above where a good case is clearly shown. We are recognised for the quality of our work, and the quality of our people is an essential element of this – any recruitment will only be made if this high standard is met, and we will not recruit merely to make up our numbers.
The role entails co-ordinating the negotiation of prime broking and trading arrangements for a major investment banking client of the Group’s, and helping to co-ordinate the launch of new hedge funds for a major fund client of the Group's. You will also manage on-going legal issues for each client, as well as implementing regulatory driven changes and on-going matters. You will work closely with the partners and a team of solicitors in the group and together with another paralegal; you will be responsible for keeping each work stream on track. In addition, you will assist with negotiations of some trade and financing documents and may be asked to research and review points of law and market practice. You will be in daily contact with the clients, hedge fund managers, and brokers across the world’s leading financial centres.
The derivatives and trading group comprises two partners, supported by a very collegiate and close-knit team of seven solicitors, one senior negotiator, two trainee solicitors and two paralegals.
Further details about our derivatives and trading group, the work we do and examples of recent deals can be found on our website.
We place great emphasis on providing top quality legal advice that competes with the Magic Circle. Part of our drive to achieve is shown by the importance we place on the development of our fee earners’ legal and commercial skills - we believe our education and training programme is second to none.
We believe Macfarlanes offers a smart alternative to the Magic Circle, with excellent prospects and a real opportunity for ambitious lawyers to develop and work for quality clients on difficult and rewarding transactions. We support our paralegals to both develop a long term career as a paralegal or to pursue a training contract with us.