Guy Morpuss QC Barrister
Guy heads the firm’s advocacy and arbitration groups. He was called to the Bar in 1991 and was appointed as Queen’s Counsel in 2008. Until 2014 Guy practised from 20 Essex Street, a leading commercial litigation and arbitration chambers. He joined Macfarlanes as an employed barrister in 2014. Guy has a wide-ranging commercial practice, both in court and in arbitration.
Guy has advised extensively in relation to international banking and derivatives litigation. He acted at trial for one of the Lehman Brothers companies, in a High Court dispute between the various Lehman Brothers entities. For several years he acted for Equitable Life, in relation to its disputes with former directors and professional advisers.
Guy has acted on a broad range of commercial disputes which have gone to trial, including:
- acting for an international airline in a claim against a seat manufacturer;
- advising on a dispute relating to payment obligations under loan notes;
- acting for a leading football brand in the High Court and Court of Appeal;
- ownership of a planned cemetery in London;
- the sale of a Gatwick hotel;
- acting for a Formula One team in relation to a dispute as to the rights to its name;
- ownership of shares in an internet publishing company;
- fees claimed by a management training coach from a leading oil company;
- disputes as to the design of Formula One cars; and
- insurance claims arising out of the alleged theft of gold bullion.
Guy also has a busy arbitration practice. Recent highlights include:
- arbitration proceedings between Formula One teams;
- acting for the owners of a ship in respect of a dispute in relation to a damaged cargo of sugar;
- disputes relating to the London 2012 Olympic Games;
- an arbitration between a leading sports brand and a joint-venture partner;
- an arbitration in relation to the operation of a wine warehouse;
- an arbitration arising out of the grounding and sinking of a ship off the coast of India;
- an arbitration arising out of the non-delivery of a newly built ship; and
- an arbitration between a leading football brand and a franchisee.
Guy also has expertise in insurance and reinsurance litigation.
Guy was leading counsel to the UCI’s first independent commission investigating the Lance Armstrong doping affair in professional cycling.
Reported cases upon which Guy has acted include:
- Myers v Kestrel Acquisitions Ltd (Kestrel)  EWHC 916 (Ch);
- Thai Airways International Public Company Ltd v KI Holdings Co Ltd  EWHC 1250 (Comm);
- Wolman v Weller  EWHC 1292 (QB);
- Group Lotus Plc (2) Lotus Cars Ltd - and - (1) 1Malaysia Racing Team SDN BHD; (2) Team Lotus Ventures Ltd; (3) Tune Group SDN BHD; (4) Anthony Francis Fernandes; (5) 1Malaysia Racing Team (UK) Ltd  EWHC 1366 (Ch);
- Lehman Brothers International (Europe) (In Administration), Re (Costs)  EWHC 3044 (Ch);
- Lehman Brothers International (Europe) (In Administration), Re  EWHC 2914 (Ch);
- Hudson Bay Apparel Brands LLC v Umbro International Ltd  EWCA Civ 949;
- Gorecia v Somani  EWHC 2970 (QB); and
- Bales v Porritt  EWHC 2188 (Ch).