Guy Morpuss QC Barrister
Guy heads the firm’s advocacy and arbitration groups. He was called to the bar in 1991 and was appointed Queen’s Counsel in 2008. He joined Macfarlanes in 2014 from a leading commercial set of chambers. Guy has a wide-ranging commercial practice, both in court and in arbitration.
Guy has acted in many high-profile cases, including major financial litigation acting for Lehman Brothers and Equitable Life. He has also acted for investment funds, brokers, Formula 1 teams, international airlines and football brands. Guy was leading counsel to the UCI’s first independent commission investigating the Lance Armstrong doping affair in professional cycling.
Guy has acted on a broad range of commercial disputes which have gone to trial, including:
- acting for a Dutch egg manufacturer in a dispute with a US purchaser, in the High Court and Court of Appeal;
- acting for a fund in relation to disputes over share redemptions and insolvency administration;
- representing a member of a charity in a dispute as to his right to vote on grants, in the High Court and Court of Appeal;
- acting for a leading broker on a contract dispute;
- acting for an international airline in a claim against a seat manufacturer;
- acting for a leading football brand in the High Court and Court of Appeal;
- a dispute relating to ownership of a planned cemetery in London;
- acting for a Formula One team in relation to a dispute as to the rights to its name; and
- disputes as to the design of Formula One cars.
Guy also has a busy arbitration practice, including:
- an insurance dispute relating to helicopters;
- a dispute relating to Russian loan notes;
- acting for the owners of a ship in respect of damage to a cargo of sugar;
- disputes relating to the London 2012 Olympic Games;
- an arbitration between a leading sports brand and a joint-venture partner; and
- an arbitration arising out of the grounding and sinking of a ship off the coast of India.
Reported cases upon which Guy has acted include:
- BV Nederlandse Industrie Van Eiprodukten v Rembrandt Enterprises Inc  EWCA Civ 596 (CA) and  EWHC 1857 (Comm);
- re Zinc Hotels (Holdings) Ltd  EWHC 1936 (Ch);
- Lehtimaki v Children’s Investment Fund Foundation (UK)  EWCA Civ 1605 (CA) and  EWHC 1379 (Ch);
- M&G Broad European Loan Fund Ltd v Hayfin Capital Luxco 2 Sarl  EWHC 1756 (Ch);
- JAS Financial Products LLP v Icap Plc  EWHC 1172 (Comm) and  EWHC 591 (QB);
- Myers v Kestrel Acquisitions Ltd (Kestrel)  EWHC 916 (Ch);
- Thai Airways International Public Company Ltd v KI Holdings Co Ltd  EWHC 1250 (Comm) and  EWHC 1476 (Comm);
- Wolman v Weller  EWHC 1292 (QB);
- Group Lotus Plc v 1Malaysia Racing Team SDN BHD  EWHC 1366 (Ch);
- Lehman Brothers International (Europe) (In Administration), Re  EWHC 2914 (Ch); and
- Hudson Bay Apparel Brands LLC v Umbro International Ltd  EWCA Civ 949.