IP and brands
Our intellectual property (IP) and brands practice provides domestic and international clients with the expertise to protect, exploit and litigate their IP rights.
We represent a broad range of brand owning clients from many different industries including advertising, brewing, food and drink, IT, publishing, retailing, sports and television. We have long established relationships with leading members of the specialist IP bar, as well as both patent agents and trade mark agents.
Litigious brand protection work
We undertake the whole spectrum of litigious brand protection work including:
- high profile trade mark litigation;
- copyright / design (registered and unregistered) claims;
- data protection and database right disputes;
- advertising and copy clearance advice; and
- breach of confidence and privacy.
In addition, representing both claimants and defendants, we undertake general counsel / advisory, interlocutory (e.g. urgent injunctions), mediation, arbitration (LCIA and ICC), full trial and appeals work.
Although the majority of our work is in the context of commercial disputes and civil proceedings, we also have extensive experience of representing clients bringing or facing trading standards and other regulatory complaints and prosecutions.
On the non-contentious side our clients appreciate the "virtual in-house lawyer" model that we provide. Our premium multi-disciplinary expertise includes:
- devising brand protection strategies, advising on how to protect names (and domain names), logos, devices, packaging, get-up, inventions, concepts and other creative works;
- acquiring, reorganising and managing IP portfolios; and
- licensing, assigning and franchising IP rights, as well as preparing sourcing, manufacturing and distribution agreements.
Our expertise also extends to corporate transactional work, in particular within venture capital specialisms, where we regularly advise on deals that have significant and often complex IP issues.