Tax Investigations and Disputes
We represent individuals and corporates involved in tax investigations and disputes across both direct and indirect tax.
Our work includes advising at all stages of an investigation and we have seen success at all levels of the English courts and in settlements and arbitrations for UK and non-UK clients. We cover matters including:
- advising in relation to enquiries from HMRC and risk review checks;
- negotiating settlements with HMRC, including by means of formal alternative dispute resolution;
- defending challenges by HMRC to our clients’ tax positions at all levels of the courts;
- assisting clients in implementing on-going tax compliance and governance structures;
- assisting in relation to regulatory investigations;
- holding HMRC and other regulatory bodies to account by means of judicial review;
- advising in relation to criminal tax matters or where penalties are being sought;
- assisting in relation to cross-border investigations, enquiries and challenges, including international arbitrations and mutual agreement procedures; and
- advising on matters of professional negligence.
We draw on a wide range of expertise with members of our team including tribunal judges and CEDR accredited mediators, as well as former senior HMRC employees and policy officials.
Our expertise is combined with specialist knowledge across all tax practices, including corporate tax, personal tax, VAT, employment tax and real estate to ensure that we are able to achieve the best outcomes for our clients.