Sovereign State Disputes
We act for governments, state owned entities, officials and individuals in relation to international claims affecting the interests of sovereign states. We primarily act in respect of commercial claims, but we can assist clients across a broad range of disputes in both the English courts and in international arbitration.
We have expertise in:
- the defence of claims which engage sovereign immunity;
- recognition of governments and appointments to SOEs;
- diplomatic immunities under the Vienna Convention;
- commercial claims which impact State-level interests; and
- challenges to enforcement against State assets.
We work in small, partner-led teams and are sensitive to the dynamics of claims which engage State interests. We prioritise resolving disputes quickly and discreetly, to achieve excellent outcomes for our clients.